The campus of Community Reformed Church is historic, beautiful, and functional. Feel free to stop by and take a relaxing stroll through the gravestones or meditate on the stories portrayed in the stained glass windows - one of which is the only thing that survived the fire of 1897 that destroyed the original building at this location.
If you are coming from a distance, please let us know in advance so that we can open the buildings for you and turn the lights on!
Our congregation has been worshiping in this location since 1816 (though the present structure was built in 1898 following a fire in 1897). It is a simple, worshipful space with beauty that both soothes the soul and stimulates the mind.
Our sanctuary, like most in the Reformed tradition, draws attention to Word and Sacrament, with a split chancel (pulpit on the left and lectern on the right), central communion table, and visible baptismal font.
Behind the sanctuary is a rotunda and meditation room that we use for fellowship after services and provides quiet space for reflection.
Fellowship Hall and Offices
Built in 1956, the Education Building is in constant use though out the week both by church-related activities and by a wide variety of local organizations including the award-winning Music Institute of Long Island and North Shore Nursery school.
Most notably, the building houses a fellowship hall (with a stage that can be used for recitals and performances), our church library, and offices for our Church Administrator and Minister.
Our cemetery has been in use as a burial ground since the early 1800s. Indeed, some of the monuments recall individuals who were born in the early to mid 1700s. While strolling through the grounds, one quickly notes the names of some of Long Island's earliest leaders.
Although the cemetery is only a few hundred yards from the busy Northern Avenue and Plandome Road, it is a peaceful place for quiet reflection with numerous benches throughout the grounds for those interested in taking a moment of rest in the midst of their busy lives.
The bell tower, rebuilt in 2018, is one of the tallest edifices in the area. It houses a Chime Master electronic carillon that plays every noon and at various times throughout the day.
The bell tower is lit throughout the night offering, at least metaphorically, "a light in the darkness" to all who may be in need of a encouragement.
Stained Glass Windows
Stained glass has long been a beloved medium for churches seeking to make God's love and grace accessible to all - regardless of age or education. At Christian Community we are blessed to worship in a space where being "surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses" (Hebrews 12:1) is a concept that can be easily grasped. The 33 themed windows depict familiar scenes from throughout both the Old and New Testaments as well as the gospel writers.
Adults and children alike are drawn to the giant Christ window at the front of the sanctuary, behind the communion table. Visitors should make sure not to miss the RCA crest in the small room beside the main entrance or the amber-green window in the meditation room (the only artifact that survived the fire of 1897).